No Code Attached Yet
avatar TarponIke
TarponIke
15 Mar 2016

Steps to reproduce the issue

Install Joomla 3.5 RC3 on environment described in "system information".

Expected result

No errors

Actual result

  • "Error" message on top of all admin pages (no error code, just plain error).
  • Menus not showing in drop down of admin menu.
  • Error when trying to display modules in admin. No modules showing. "Out of sort memory". See attachment for details.

System information (as much as possible)

  • Localhost
  • Windows 7
  • Uniform Server Zero XI (with standard config)
  • php 5.5.30
  • Database version 5.5.46
  • sort_buffer_size = 64k

Additional comments

I'm running Joomla 3.4.8 perfectly on the same environment without any issues. Since this is a one-click upgrade I would expect there was no need for changing server configuration.
I've found that increasing the "sort_buffer_size" to 256k resolves the issue, but should that be necessary? Again, this is a one-click upgrade.

Sorry if this "issue" is mentioned elsewhere.

Error when trying to view modules in backend-joomla35-rc3.docx

screen shot 2016-03-15 at 04 39 47

avatar TarponIke TarponIke - open - 15 Mar 2016
avatar brianteeman
brianteeman - comment - 15 Mar 2016

The sort_buffer_size is very low -way below the default mysql value
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/server-system-variables.html#sysvar_sort_buffer_size


This comment was created with the J!Tracker Application at issues.joomla.org/joomla-cms/9432.

avatar TarponIke
TarponIke - comment - 15 Mar 2016

Ok, so this is not going to be an issue with any hosts?
Should I set the sort_buffer_size to 256k, or what would you recommend?


This comment was created with the J!Tracker Application at issues.joomla.org/joomla-cms/9432.

avatar brianteeman
brianteeman - comment - 15 Mar 2016

Ok, so this is not going to be an issue with any hosts?

Shouldnt be - they would at least be using the defaults and most likely even higher

Should I set the sort_buffer_size to 256k, or what would you recommend?

The default on my MAMP install is sort_buffer_size = 512K


This comment was created with the J!Tracker Application at issues.joomla.org/joomla-cms/9432.

avatar brianteeman brianteeman - change - 15 Mar 2016
Status New Closed
Closed_Date 0000-00-00 00:00:00 2016-03-15 11:27:51
Closed_By brianteeman
avatar brianteeman brianteeman - close - 15 Mar 2016
avatar brianteeman brianteeman - close - 15 Mar 2016
avatar TarponIke
TarponIke - comment - 15 Mar 2016

Just curious, is there any special change from 3.4.8 that have made the need for higher sort_buffer_size?


This comment was created with the J!Tracker Application at issues.joomla.org/joomla-cms/9432.

avatar hkhako
hkhako - comment - 22 Mar 2016

I am using OpenShift as a host, and have a hard time changing the Sort_Buffer_Size for my MySQL cartridge. It would be great if someone can point out the change that increased the sort buffer requirement.


This comment was created with the J!Tracker Application at issues.joomla.org/joomla-cms/9432.

avatar brianteeman
brianteeman - comment - 22 Mar 2016

To be honest I dont have any idea. It was just the original poster who determined that increasing the value fixed their problem


This comment was created with the J!Tracker Application at issues.joomla.org/joomla-cms/9432.

avatar DaviRay
DaviRay - comment - 22 May 2016

I've encountered this same issue with OpenShift with their sort_buffer_size = 128K.
The OP dropped a hint that pointed me to the change that is causing this impact.

Version 3.4.8 uses the following parameters when creating most tables:
ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8

Version 3.5.1 changed it to the following:
ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8mb4 DEFAULT COLLATE=utf8mb4_unicode_ci

I do not know if it was intentional but that's the cause of it. My fresh, completely empty, install of Joomla 3.5.1 would not open the extensions > modules page. After re-creating the DB with the original parameters, it opens it just fine.
I am not sure if there are any other underlying effects by changing it but this is definitely the culprit.


This comment was created with the J!Tracker Application at issues.joomla.org/joomla-cms/9432.

Add a Comment

Login with GitHub to post a comment